Thursday, March 23, 2017

Another Trip Around the World...........

My friend and I basted her quilt (yesterday's blog post) for 2 hours yesterday morning and then were able to pull the rest of it up on the table to have it ready to finish the basting.  I will work on it a little each day now instead of all at once.  Last night I started sewing the stratas for an new Trip Around the World with 30's reproduction fabrics.  I haven't decided on the color order yet so I just sewed each group of 4 fabrics and then played with the order.  This is the first one I tried.

All I did was move the yellow strata a few spaces to the right for this layout.  After seeing it on my computer monitor I think I like this layout the best.  I have one more move I'll try and then I can sew the groups together for a complete strata.  I used 2.5" strips and I have 24 fabrics.  If my calculations are right I think this might come out about 70" x 94".

I have to start cleaning the basement today.  After 2 cancellations the art quilter are finally going to come next Monday so I have 4 days to put away all of my stuff.....and believe me, I have a lot of different projects laying on tables.  I also had been doing some sorting so one table is covered with that.

9 comments:

Gene Black said...

Once I get the gallery show items delivered I want to start a TAW quilt. Until then, I am trying NOT to start any new projects that aren't for the show.
I think I want at least some batiks in my TAW but I may "temper" them with some solid neutrals.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love the arrangement! Sounds like a plan. Make sure you take enough breaks when you are cleaning up all the projects.

Hedy said...

I love your reproduction fabrics and look forward to seeing the quilt top. Right now I still have on my mind your black and white TAW and I'm thinking I would like to make one myself. Now to find my instructions from your class.

Christine said...

I'm always amazed at your ability to arrange a multitude of apparently don't-go-together fabrics into something beautiful and harmonious. I have a vague idea of your principles for colorwash quilts. But what are your guidelines or principles for arranging fabrics for Trip Around The World quilts? Have you posted something about this in the past? If not, I'd love it if you could give some pointers about how you do it. Would similar principles hold for bargello quilts?

patty a. said...

That is going to be a pretty quilt! I bet if you had more room and more tables you would have even more projects going on! I would be the exact same way! LOL!! Basting that quilt is one huge job. At least it is half done.

Tami Von Zalez said...

That is on my quilting bucket list - one with reproduction fabrics.

kathyf said...

Hi,do you have a rule of thumb concerning the amount of different fabrics in a TAW or the proportion to cut the strata. I can see this new strata is made from 2.5 inch strips. What will be the measurement of the nextcut?
Thanks so much.

Asha said...

LOVE these colors ... can't want it see it all done up .. TAW is a such a pretty pattern!

June D said...

What different fabric for you to use! I'm looking forward to seeing the next steps! Thanks so much for sharing!