Thursday, December 8, 2016

Cold outside, warm inside..........

I layered 8 strip sets 1" apart preparing to cut 2.5" segments from them.  Yes, you need a sharp blade for this.
Here are the 16 blocks all sewn but not pressed yet.  

It was a great day to make soup yesterday, only in the 20s outside.  I made pea soup in the crock pot with a ham bone added.
 
I got this X block top sewn together.  For a recap, it is Marcia Derse fabrics for the background triangles, Kaffe Fassett yarn dyed stripes for the backgrounds and sashing strips, and large prints from many years and many different fabric companies for the X's.  There is a triangle border on the quilt in the book but I really don't care for it so maybe this one is done at 56" x 74".  It would look great thrown over a sofa in a room with a neutral color scheme.

10 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the richness of the Derse quilt. Kind if like an oriental rug.

Gene Black said...

Both of those are great, but the purples are what make my heart sing today.

Lisa C said...

Cannot wait to see the purple quilt!

Kucki68 said...

I think a border of a "wild" print the width of the wide crosses might look great.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Stunning quilt top - I agree that no further bordering is needed.

Unknown said...

I am in awe of your beautiful work and how productive you are. Can you share your secret?!!! Somehow my days get filled and the quilting always gets moved to the "next day" and often that doesn't happen.

Soup sounds perfect as that cold is headed to South Carolina today.

melinda hirsch said...

Love the X quilt and its colors!

patty a. said...

Your purple blocks are pretty and your X quilt turned out fabulous!

Needled Mom said...

Those x-s are great. Soup is the perfect meal for a cold winter day.

Charlotta said...

I know I'm way behind on this, but I took a little trip to the west coast for three days, and am behind on everything as a result!
I love the cross quilt! It's very striking, but it seems to me that some sort of additional, border is needed. Don't you want to make up your own version, even if you don't like what the book suggests?