Wandaful Quilts

Visit my blog shop https://wandafulquilts.blogspot.com for items for sale: wall art, mini art, quilt tops, fabric groupings. It is an ever changing group of items.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Backings chosen, squares sewn...........

This is one of the quilt tops that came off a hanger while Julie was here.  I started looking for a border fabric but I really couldn't find anything that has the same flavor so it will be borderless.  It is about 78" x 96" so it is pretty good size already.  I found the piece of fabric on the left in my backings box and I think it looks good with it.  I bought it for $4 a yard on the sale rack and I will have almost 2 yards left over to go into my regular stash.
This one is just a wallhanging size. I have had this backing fabric in my stash for about 20 years.
I made this Bento Box quilt top when I was teaching the class to show them how it looked being made with narrower strips.  I have enough of this backing fabric to do borders and binding although I will probably come back with red or blue for the binding.
Yesterday was church sewing circle so I spent the morning cutting pillowcases to take at 1 p.m.  As long as I was 20 miles from home and in a larger town with some big stores I ran some errands and didn't get home until almost 5.  Last night to unwind I sewed squares for 18 blocks for my print zig zag (Streak of Lightning) quilt in progress.

15 comments:

Olga said...

Какое красивое барджелло!!!

Debbie said...

Love the ancient backing fabric....that is a neat one. All three quilts are great, and can't wait to see the finishes.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice having fabric in the stash for the backings - that is one thing I normally have to purchase. I have a lot of small pieces but not a lot of big pieces.
Karen

patty a. said...

How nice it is to go shopping in your stash! I think the backs you picked are great. I look forward to seeing the finishe.

Sheila said...

Very nice backings. Beautiful quilt and wall hanging.
I usually need to buy backing fabrics after I finish a quilt. Unless I piece a backing from stash :D

LynneP said...

Your productivity inspires me!

Nifty Quilts said...

Love those combos with the backs!

Taos Sunflower said...

I don't think if you'd gone out looking for a backing for that top quilt you could have found a better backing. Let's hear it for a big stash!! Yay!

suemac said...

I usually only have pieces that are a yard or less. I need some backing fabrics now so I am hunting on ebay for bigger pieces.

hetty said...

Love your backing fabrics. Nice that you could find them in your stash. I used to buy mostly fat quarters, but lately, with all the LQS going out of business, I have bought several pieces large enough to be used for backings.

Muddling Through said...

Ah, stash shopping - my very favorite kind. I had a friend come over today and found just what she needed in mine. You've really done a good job of matching your backings to the quilt tops. As usual. You're a busy lady!

Lori said...

Lovely choices. Is the second one a Mary Ellen Hopkins'?

Donna~~ said...

Had to laugh over your 20 year old backing...I have the same fabric in black and purple both! :)

Paule-Marie said...

OMG, I remember that 20 yr old backing fabric. I bought the it too. Don't know if I still have it. I donated probably half my stash when we moved 7 years ago because I didn't want to pay for long term storage. (which is finally ending this year - YEAH!!)

I want to know how you are so productive. I need inspiration on that.

R & E said...

Wow - you are right - Bento Boxes look great in scrappy!!!
Elaine Adair