Friday, September 22, 2017

Fun sewing........

I found enough flannel scrap pieces to cut the last 4 tumbler shapes.  I sewed the last 4 rows onto the quilt top yesterday morning.  I will press it later.  Since I can't do any machine quilting right now there is no hurry.
Last night I was looking for something and came across a bag of scraps from this quilt that I basted right before my pacemaker surgery.  I paired the scraps and sewed these little wonky blocks.  I'm not sure what they will turn into.  They are small, about 4" x 6".  They haven't been pressed yet.




I decided I need a mug rug for my living room in lavender shades.  I took two 1.5" strips and sewed and cut and sewed and cut until I had this little 7 rows by 8 rows checkerboard.  Fun sewing!



I'm always surprised by the color of the asters each year.  I thought they were a darker shade last year.  Maybe our lack of rain has affected them.  The bees are loving them.  They look pink here but they are a pinky-purple.
The volunteer plants along the driveway are in full bloom now.  I cut down quite a few of the plants early in the summer but there are still a lot of them blooming there.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think one of my favorite things to see on your blog is when you start sewing a bunch of scraps, "not sure what they'll turn into". It always ends up being something interesting! And exuberant, of course!

Frebblebit

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

when you make mug rugs and I know you have made a lot - do you put anything on the underside to keep the condensation from the glass seep all the way through the fabric which would then mark the coffee table. I have only made a few but sometimes the condensation does seep all the way through, I wonder what would be good to put on the bottom of a mug rug so it wouldn't do that or do you use the ones you make mainly for hot drinks?

patty a. said...

I am so glad you were able to find some flannel scraps. I was just about ready to send you some! I have lots of flannel scraps! I love those wonky little blocks! The asters are beautiful. My one zinnia has got another flower on it. It looks so funny growing in the yard just outside the flower bed.

Hedy said...

Your little mug rug turned out great. The asters are one plant I don't have in my garden, maybe someday.

Cedar Ridge Studio said...

Love the mug rug. You are starting to sound better. Praying for fast recovery.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Glad you found your pieces. Love the wonky blocks!! My asters are blooming also.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Lovely asters!

Needled Mom said...

Isn't it wonderful to be able to pull out little bits and create a project during these times when you are restricted? I'm sure it is frustrating for you, but glad to see that you continue to create.

Cathi said...

The asters are gorgeous - love the colour and seeing the bees.