Saturday, January 7, 2017

Fun with friends..........

I had to try my purple blocks on the design wall.  I'm not done sewing blocks so it won't go together any time soon.  The angle of the cut with the ruler is deeper than the cut with the instruction in the book.  When I made the first one I was using the book instructions.
While I had some company yesterday I brought out this quilt again and tried another border.  This is actually the third color of this stripe that we tried.



Here is a closer shot.  It is a Kaffe Fassett stripe and every fabric in the quilt (384 different prints) is his fabric too.  I didn't have enough of this color so I ordered more yesterday.  I'm not sure how wide the border will be at this point.  Here is a previous border choice last year.  We played with how that fabric would be cut and I finally made the decision it will go on the back of the quilt.  Not shown in that photo is a vase from which the sprays extend.  It was just too much planning of where the cut should be, whether the vase should be in it or not.  I'm happy with this simpler stripe.
Jack Frost came to visit and I'm sure he will stick around for a couple more days.  We're down around 0 at night.

15 comments:

Needled Mom said...

The cut makes for a really interesting look. It has so much movement in it.

Needled Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Love your colors. We are in the 20s at night here in Jersey, but it supposed to go up to the 40s next week during the day. January heatwave. When you put together your triangles, do you plan the two fabrics for EACH completed square OR is it random?

Marie said...

Still really love the Kaffe quilt that you are looking to add a border to - it is spectacular.

Quiltdivajulie said...

My ruler should be delivered today! I'm excited to give it a trial run for what will be the grandson's first birthday (August 17) or second Christmas (December 2017). We actually have snow on the ground (yesterday and today and likely into early tomorrow).

Karen said...

I remember when we lived in the north having the frost on the windows - as kids we loved it especially when it was nice and thick!

Tami Von Zalez said...

I just opted for a stripey fabric in my newest project and I love it! What a great choice Wanda.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Yesterday's stripe looks very comfortable on the outside of your Kaffe Quilt. Lucky you only got frost!! We actually got some snow.

Judy Dietrich said...

Love the purple quilt--fun design. The stripe border really brings out all the colors & makes it blend well. We have had below zero weather& lots of wind. At least the sun is out!!

Mystic Quilter said...

I do prefer the version using the special ruler, more movement there. Your HST quilt with the KF fabrics as splendid and I love the border fabric, fits beautifully.

HollyM said...

I do like that stripe better. It seems brighter.
We've the Jack Frost here too.

Janice Holton said...

Love Kaffe colors. So bright and vibrant. The stripe looks great!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do like this border better, but it doesn't really give that floating effect to the darker ones, does it?

Linda Swanekamp said...

I have that pattern and the ruler from a while ago. Just can't decide whether to cut one out or not. Yours is wonderful.

Cathi said...

Oh, my - how I love looking at that purple piece. It has an amazing feel to it - almost like it's on waves, just gently moving. That is going to be spectacular!!