Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Sample for new project............

I started with 6.5" squares and 1.5" strips (cut into 6.5" and 8.5" lengths) for the first round of the blocks.





Then I cut the 2.5" strips into 8.5" and 12.5" lengths.  I have the fabrics overlapped and lined up on the 1" marks of the mat so I can cut for all 4 blocks at one time.

Round 2 is sewn onto all of the blocks.

 





Then I cut each block individually in half in both directions.
 






I can use just 2 blocks and interchange the parts for 2 blocks for the quilt.

 As you can see you need to reverse the values in the blocks for it to be really effective.  If the center is light, the next round is dark, the last round is light.  If the center is dark, the next round is light and the last round is dark.  

If you always press your seams toward the darkest fabric, the seams will go in opposing directions when sewing this block together.

The option I had in mind when I started was cutting 4 blocks so I have 4 different corners in my new block. 

Some people call this block Bento Box.  The pattern I used for my Bento Box quilts had both rounds with the same size strips.  There are more variations in the strip widths if you start looking for these quilts on the internet and all of them are variations of Bento Box if we get technical about it.

15 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I've seen these quilts but didn't know what the pattern is called. Pretty cool.

Anonymous said...

Great pattern but your choice of colors makes it stellar.

Debbie said...

Your version gives a lot of interest...especially with so much color!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Just so terrific looking and simple to boot! Love the batik combos!

Kathy said...

It's also fun to turn the blocks in different directions, though I'm sure you've done it that, too!

Sylvia Anderson said...

Thanks for the great tutorial Wanda. You have such a beautiful selection of batiks to choose from when picking fabrics for a project. Good day to stay inside and sew!

patty a. said...

Your fabric choices make a simple block stunning!

marge jansonius said...

If you use all four different corners in the blocks, don't you have 4 blocks the same? Love working with batiks and this looks like a perfect pattern for them. Thank you for your blog and all that you share.

Marge

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I like your version better than any I've seen, especially the last one!

Mona said...

HI Wanda,
oh i love this art of easy cutting. Thanks for this idea!
I also will do it soon.
Best regards from Vienna
Mona

Paige said...

Thanks for sharing your process!

Jean said...

I love your end results, and thank you for the walk-thru.

MissPat said...

I made a batik Bento Box quilt last year and I really enjoyed choosing the colors. Your construction method looks like it would simplify things.

Charlotta said...

I have at least two bunches of fabric I have thought would work well with the Bento Box pattern - wonder when I'll get to them? This looks great.

Robby said...

This is a great design, with your wonderful color sense really enhancing it. Thanks for the simple tutorial. I can see how this could be a really quick gift in a time crunch, or a chance to really take your time with color placement and create an artwork.