Tuesday, September 27, 2016

And a good time was had by all........

I give a lot of scraps  to my friend Rosemary and I give her orphan blocks that I now longer want.  She surprised me yesterday when she showed us what she did with the scrappy Kaleidoscope blocks that I gave to her last time.  Who would have guessed that they would be the same size as the paper pieced log cabin blocks she was working on.  This quilt top is big, about 85" x 100" and the blocks are about 6.75" square.  I will be helping her to baste it soon.
Jerry's quilt top was too long for my design walls (112").  It is the Blooming 9 patch.  It is a LOT of work to make one of these and it is sewn in diagonal rows.  This one is All Kaffe Fassett and Philip Jacobs fabrics.



This is the last Blooming 9 patch that I made (finished the last day of 2009) and I said I would probably not make another one.  After seeing Jerry's finished I think I will do another one.  I modified the pattern in "Tradition with a Twist" by Blanche Young so that it fits a queen size bed and shared my directions with Jerry.   I gifted this quilt to a family friend in October 2011.

16 comments:

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

Another someday quilt for me... I have more somedays than make it today days!!! I love the way it blends form border to border.... but I get bored... with that much piecing! I'll be interested to see your 'next' one!

Debbie said...

I love the creative mix of the log cabins and the orphan kaleidoscope blocks. How wonderful to see this riot of color.

Annemieke said...

The blooming nine patches are beautiful and intriguing at the same time. Defenitely worth trying, so I put it on my 'list'. I would love to see your new one too one day.
Groetjes
Annemieke

Annemieke said...

The blooming nine patches are beautiful and intriguing at the same time. Defenitely worth trying, so I put it on my 'list'. I would love to see your new one too one day.
Groetjes
Annemieke

Linda Swanekamp said...

I have never seen a blooming nine patch. It is gorgeous! Probably have to have a huge selection of floral fabric.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Those kaleidoscope blocks fit right in with the rest of the blocks on your quilt. You have definitely influenced Rosemary's color and pattern choices. When I saw it on my blog feed, I immediately thought it was one of yours before I even saw the blog name.

Gene Black said...

I love the creativiity Rosemary showed in putting the Kaleidoscope blocks in with the log cabins. It came out great.

Libby in TN said...

B9P is on my bed all winter long. It's the largest quilt I've ever made. Every time I see one I think I should make another. I worked on mine from the middle out so I didn't have to make all the pieces/parts before assembly.

Hedy said...

Lovely quilts, I doubt I will ever make one of those. But I will make one of your TAW quilts again, if I can find the instructions. I misplaced them and can't find them in my patterns.

Needled Mom said...

I love those kaleidoscope blocks in with the logs. Looks like it was a fun day.

Nann said...

The kaleidoscopes add the perfect pop to your blocks! I remember the first blooming 9p I saw -- at a retreat back in 1999. I have since acquired the book but I haven't made one (yet!).

patty a. said...

What a wonderful show and tell. Great use of those orphan blocks!

Anonymous said...

Those kaleidoscope blocks are such a nice surprise in that log cabin quilt. How many did you give her? Jerry's quilt is such nice colors. Are you going to share your changes to the pattern for a queen size? I'm wondering how much fabric of each one it takes to do that, as my KFC stash is one yard of each fabric, except for one or two that I have 3 yards, and one or two that I bought half or quarter yards, as that was all that was available. Please leave your answer on the next blog if you don't mind.

Mystic Quilter said...

What a size - 112"!! Lovely colours though.

PaisleyBird said...

Hi Wanda,
I've made 2 BNP, both with Amy Butler fabric and would like to make a larger size using Kaffe fabrics. In order to make queen size, did you increase the block size, use more blocks or both?

Thanks!

melinda hirsch said...

Absolutely gorgeous quilts---sooooo beautiful!!