Friday, June 5, 2015

Errands and gardening.........

Yesterday was errand day and then some weed pulling.  I could smell another wonderful scent and realized it was the Mock Orange bush.  My neighbors planted it in the back corner of their lot several years ago and now the only part still alive hangs into my garden above the day lilies and Lily of the Valley.
Lots of the peony blossoms are past their prime, very few pickable for a bouquet.  I'll have to do some research and see if I should dead head them or not.


Some of the tomato plants have reached the second ring in the cages.  There are tiny tomatoes on the yellow cherry tomato plant.




Here is a closer view of the jungle in the back garden.  There are Lily of the Valley, Pulmonaria, Evening Primrose, Columbine and Hosta in this shot.  Creeping Charlie is everywhere.  I pulled out a big bunch yesterday.

I put my kits of rectangles on my Wandaful Quilts blog.  There are only 5 kits available.  I will be making a batik quilt next so there will be some batik kits available in a couple weeks.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

From the Old Farmers Almanac (I googled). I have been wondering the same thing.
"Deadhead peony blossoms as soon as they begin to fade, cutting to a strong leaf so that the stem doesn't stick out of the foliage. Cut the foliage to the ground in the fall to avoid any overwintering disease."
I love all your pix of your gardens as well as your quilts. I admire your color outside as well as inside ;-D I'm fighting creeping Charlie too!!

Millie said...

Is "creeping charlie" also known as kudzu? Or is it different? I'm fighting kudzu here too.

Hedy said...

I have creeping Charlie here too and it's a mess. It really grows fast and covers everything, I can't seem to keep it gone forever. Our bushes all need trimming and that will be my husbands job, some are now up to about 11 feet tall, how in the world did they get that tall so fast. I went to Lowes yesterday and was walking around the garden area and kept smelling something wonderful, it was a jasmine plant and is not an annual if you don't have temps lower than -20. I am looking forward to having that wonderful smell in my garden.

Julie S said...

How large is your mock orange, and do you have it planted in shade or sun? I just picked one up at a plant yard sale and need to get it into the ground!