I wanted to get the binding done on the 2 QOV quilts so I could wash them yesterday. I cut the 9 kits using my own blue stash, about half have my red stash in them, and I provided borders, backings, batting and quilting. The tops were pieced by other ladies in our Batavia, IL group.
I did the bindings all by machine. I forgot sew the label into the binding on the second one so I had to hand sew it on all 4 sides.
This is the backing fabric on the first crooked cobblestone piece. I trimmed away the excess and decided that 2 of the pieces were large enough to use for facings.
I had planned to do a facing but thought I should check to see if it would work as a binding and I think it looks OK. It needed to be a piece that is quite multicolor so it didn't create an obvious edge. Luckily I have enough of that fabric left to make the hanging sleeve and the rest of the binding.