Saturday, February 17, 2018

Some sashing sewn......

I have some of the sashing strips sewn on but the blocks aren't sewn together in rows yet.  I did a little rearranging of the butterflies and think this is the final layout but just in case I change my mind I'll wait to sew the rows.  The corner squares will be a little smaller once the rows are sewn together.
I'm looking through boxes in the basement again and I found this project that was started over 15 years ago.






It is paper pieced and here is the pattern.  All of the printed papers came in the package.  I was making my star points with 9 pieces instead of the 16 on the pattern.  









Since I started it so long ago the batik collection I was using is also older and the newer batiks might be hard to mix in without being obvious.  I counted the pieces I have sewn and I can make 8 points with just 4 pieces per point.  If I want to make a larger star later with newer fabrics I have the printed pieces there in the package.   I think the odds of me ever wanting to make another one are pretty slim though.

9 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Reminds me of Sea Urchin in batiks laughing at me in my UFO pile. The PP is mind numbing and so slow. I just can't bring myself to drag it out. You can work for hours and have 2 arcs done. What looks lovely in a pattern photo is not always telling the truth about itself.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Go for the smaller star with what you have - and don't look back!!!!! ( and I agree with Linda)

Sharron Keck said...

I really like your butterflies - and your color sense. The bits of red in the background along with the red cornerstones really set off the butterflies.

Hedy said...

The cornerstones really are nice, I love the color. Can’t blame you for the PP project, just not my cup of tea.

JJM said...

Sashing always adds the finishing touch and it compliments your butterflies with perfection. . . OMG Wanda, Lone Star piece looks like a challenge to me. But what a beauty it will be.

JJM

p.s. It took me forever to type in sashing, my iPad took over and smashing, dashing, slashing, sashimi, etc. etc. came in instead.

Jenny said...

My goodness - no wonder the Lone Star quilt has been left for all that time.
The pattern is beautiful, but such a lot of work.

O'Quilts said...

Butterflies are lovely

Bag End Gardener said...

Your Lone Star blocks are gorgeous, well done for getting so far and I agree - finish up with the smaller size.

I also have that pattern, it has been sitting in the "pattern box" for YEARS. I worked out a long time ago I was never going to make it .....

Sneak Small Moments said...

I absolutely love the butterflies! Gorgeous! Well done :) Ames