Thursday, February 23, 2017

Binding choice.......

I searched through my Kaffe Fassett fabrics for about an hour and auditioned them for binding.  In the end I used leftover backing fabric.  It has just enough black in the print to finish the edge nicely.  This one is a special quilt so it is getting a hand finished binding.  I am about 1/3 done with it.
I know you can't read the little label because it is written in pencil but it has the size of this piece written on it.  I have a lot of backing leftovers in long strips and I haven't kept them all in one place.  When I decide I want to use several of the strips together I can never find them.  I decided now to cut the leftover to an even width and square off the 2 ends and label them.  They will all go into the same box.  All I will have to remember is which shelf I put the box on.

14 comments:

Libby in TN said...

LOL! I'd lose the box, too.

Sewing Junkie said...

Boy I know how that is. I am missing a navy blue piece and also a dark brown piece long enough for backings. When I don't want them I will find them. I guess label the shelf and the box in bright colors. I would loose my head if it wasn't attached. LOL Chris

Linda Swanekamp said...

Binding looks terrific. Keeping track of fabric is an ongoing struggle for me.

Debbie said...

Binding looks great. Good idea to label those long pieces. Label the bin too ..... for easier identification :)

Roxanne said...

Funny because it is oh so true. Maybe put it near your roll of batting???

Pat said...

I lose everything. Great idea, though, to cut the backing leftovers and label their size. That will give you more time to look for them. lol

patty a. said...

That was a great choice for the binding! Maybe now that you started a box with the backing leftovers when you happen to run across more you can then put them in that box. It is work to keep track of our fabric isn't it? LOL!!

JJM said...

Glad you used the backing for the binding also. This is one spectacular piece, your hours of design and labor certainly shows on this one.

JJM

The Joyful Quilter said...

The ever illusive 'safe' place. Sigh... I feel your pain. LOL

Elsie Montgomery said...

This is indeed a special quilt! I really like it, maybe my favorite of all your quilts!
The only way I can remember what I did with stuff is do an inventory now and then. Lots of surprises happen...!

Mary said...

I have a small apt. and way too much fabric and UFOs. There were times I couldn't find things so the last time I began reorganizing I created a list of the boxes under my bed and what was in each box. Then another list for the boxes in the closet. I hope this will help me to be able to find what I'm looking for. I love seeing all of your quilts!

Gene Black said...

That backing fabric was perfect for the binding!

melinda hirsch said...

I LOVE this quilt!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Which is why I use clear boxes . . . I need all the help I can get.