Friday, June 3, 2016

Top sewn............garden report............

The Bouncing Balls/Drunkard's Path quilt top is sewn.  It ended up 56" x 70".  The Roberta Horton yarn dyed plaids are a very soft fabric and this top is so lightweight.  The other plaids are slightly heavier but still the weight of most quilting cottons.





This is the machine that I used to sew the top.  The new lights are WONDERFUL!  It was always dark to the right of the presser foot before and hard to tell if I was keeping my 1/4" seam accurate.

Before I left the basement I prepared the 3 layers of this wallhanging for hand basting.  I worked on this one back in Oct. 2014.  I have a Label for Drunkard's Path on my Label List, right sidebar if you are interested in the design process. 
The red Weigela is blooming now.  It is actually just past it's peak prettiness.


















The native Heliotrope is blooming too.  It is very sweet smelling, almost like lilacs on steroids.











The tomato plants are loving the rain and the hot weather.  I have 5 tomatoes on the largest Early Girl plant.  There are flowers on 3 other plants so I hope the bees will get busy.

The first Sundrops (which are in the same family as Evening Primrose) have bloomed.  I have some of these in every flowerbed so I should be seeing a lot of yellow soon.

10 comments:

MontyBear said...

Thank you. I now stop referring to "those yellow flowers to the right of the front door" and call them by their proper name - Sundrops. I need to get some heliotrope and plant those. Beautiful.

patty a. said...

The bouncing balls top looks great and so does the garden! We have had no rain for weeks! With all this hot weather, plants are suffering.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the flowers! Have to post some of mine. The red poppies today are stunning. Love the drunkards path quilt. I don't know why I love those so much.

Needled Mom said...

The garden is really thriving. Isn't it a great time of the year?

Love that African print piece.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What a lot of beautiful color you have going on there! Really, really like both of those drunkard's path quilts.

Allison said...

I love your mix of patchwork updates and garden news ☺ Your curve piecing is very inspiring - it's a technique I'm itching to try now I've seen your beautiful quilts. Our garden season is a few weeks behind yours - my tomato plants are hardened off but there are no flowers yet and our main flower interest are the white and pink foxgloves, much loved by bees ☺

Lucy said...


I really love the bouncing balls quilt. Thank you for showing a different way to use drunkards path blocks. And the plaids are so beautiful together. I have lots of them and now I know what I will do with them.

The garden is as inspiring!

Vicki W said...

Love the plaid DP!

Leslie said...

Beautiful garden and GORGEOUS quilt. I really love the graphic designs and the way your combined them so artfully. :-)

Judy Dietrich said...

Your quilt top has a lot of fun colors & so does your garden. I plant a few in pots for my front yard & cross my fingers that they will be alive in the fall!!