Even though I have an ironing table 30" x 60", I was dreading pressing this 72" x 88" quilt top. It wasn't as bad as I expected but I'm sure glad it is done. It was hard to get a good straight on photo because my longarm bar is in the way. This was the best of the 3 that I took. I haven't looked for a backing yet but I still have 2 (of 3) that I pulled when I was making the Snail's Trail quilt with many of these same fabrics. They are on this post (scroll down). I think there is enough yardage of both of them. I also thought maybe I should put flannel on the back so I'll check and see if I have a large enough piece.
When I went out to get my mail I noticed how pretty the Sedum flowers are. There are 2 different varieties here.
There were lots of bees visiting them. I tried to get a photo with several of them and this was the best I could do. They were very busy bees and didn't stay in one place very long.
Here is the bad news in the same flower bed. The Zinfin Doll Hydrangea blooms totally dried up and never turned raspberry color. Even though we had a lot more rain this summer, it was followed by long stretches of no rain and high temperatures with strong sun. I should have watered it and I hope I don't lose the whole bush. I haven't been able to do much gardening this year.
When I went out to get my mail I noticed how pretty the Sedum flowers are. There are 2 different varieties here.
There were lots of bees visiting them. I tried to get a photo with several of them and this was the best I could do. They were very busy bees and didn't stay in one place very long.
Here is the bad news in the same flower bed. The Zinfin Doll Hydrangea blooms totally dried up and never turned raspberry color. Even though we had a lot more rain this summer, it was followed by long stretches of no rain and high temperatures with strong sun. I should have watered it and I hope I don't lose the whole bush. I haven't been able to do much gardening this year.




The top turned out great! I like the hits of blue, red, and green in it. The sedum is so pretty. I had a transplant of sedum, but the deer ate it. Too bad about the hydrangea. I have never had one, but do you think that maybe if your helpers tomorrow cut it back a bit and soak it that it can be saved?
ReplyDelete[FYI:] For some reason your posts are not getting into my usual feed--I have to go here and click "home" at the top to find the latest one..Don't know what is going on...
ReplyDeleteAt any rate s i g h: I love how this top turned out a lot, Wanda...nice work!!
The sedum flowers are so pretty --oh, too bad about your hydrangea though..this heat and dry weather has played havoc for sure. Hugs, for a great weekend...Julierose
That last photo looks much like our large annual plant pots - even though we have watered, most of the plants are sad, leggy, and faded. Time to clean some of them out so they don't make us feel as miserable as they look. Congrats on the quilt top - another winner.
ReplyDeleteI always get a little homesick when Fair time rolls around in Sandwich even after 60 years of being gone. Your Sept. first quilt top has a such a lovely warm glow of autumn. Photo’s of your sedums topped it off with their pink beauty.
ReplyDeleteThat quilt top is gorgeous! Perfectly Autumnal.
ReplyDeleteWe have had a brutal summer here, too. I water most days and still the plants struggle.
maybe if you trim off all the dead stuff on the hydrangea before winter when the buds set it will come back good? I do that on my regular hydrangea but I don't know how that compares to it. We had almost 2 inches of rain last night that was much needed and in the high 70's today - I just came in from outside.
ReplyDeleteYou've made another spectacular quilt top and it sings "Autumn"!! Well done!
ReplyDeleteHugs!
I, too, like the pops of blue you included in your top. I’m glad ironing it wasn’t as bad as you feared.
ReplyDeleteI really like the way you added the large print blocks to this. It's such a pretty quilt!
ReplyDelete