This was my original plan, adding pieces of a variety of light color florals to the edges of the blocks. This way a border was assembled while I webbed the quilt; no long strips to add to the center section. But then I kept thinking I wanted it larger and that is where I got hung up for a year and a half. I finally decided I would settle for a smaller quilt, 67" x 79".
After I took its photo, I decided to look in my backing fabric bins and see if I had enough yardage of anything I liked. After seeing the photos together here, I don't think this one has the right flavor. I have 5 yards of this one. I think I need to make a green quilt specifically to go with this backing.
This was the second one I pulled out. The blue in the leaves isn't quite as predominant in person. I have 8 yards of this one.
Both of these fabrics are from many years ago. I don't have enough of any of the 1990s florals for a backing. I do have one 3 yard piece that I would need to add to so I'll keep looking to see what else I can find.




The second leaves fabric fits the top better than the garden one, for sure, but I really like the garden print so I definitely vote for a quilt made especially for it :)
ReplyDeleteOh Wanda, love the border! Who knew that would do the trick?
ReplyDeleteYour first quilt top for June is stunning ~ love all the floral fabrics that went into this one. I know you will find the perfect backing but those shown are great pieces for others tops also.
ReplyDeleteI love the stars quilt as is! I like the subtle blending. Do you ever make stack and whack quilts? I don't know what the repeat is for that garden fabric, but I think it might make a fabulous stack and whack. Also, I love the other two fabrics. I didn't know Kumiko Sudo designed fabrics. If she's the same person I'm thinking of, I have 2 of her books.
ReplyDeleteStars really is a lovely piece, Wanda--I do think that the 2nd fabric could be used for the backing...78 here at 4 pm but very humid with dewpoint in the low 70's--I am not a fan of humidity...pretty much inside today....hugs, Julierose
ReplyDeleteI am so late looking at blogs today here it is evening already. Keep looking through the fabric you will find something to use i bet!!
ReplyDeleteThe green vegetable fabric is so cool! Probably doesn't go with the start top like you said, but it would make a fabulous back for a quilt!
ReplyDeleteThat's such a pretty quilt! I'm sure you will find the perfect backing soon.
ReplyDelete