Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Newest layout.........

I spent a lot of time staring at the design wall yesterday.  I sewed the 2 blocks that were cut on Sunday and then many times moved blocks to better positions.  I have the fabrics chosen for the bottom right block and the fabric farther up the right side will be the light fabric of the block in that position.  That leaves 2 more to figure out and possibly then the removal of any block I don't think is working well.

Here is the progress on the waxed Amaryllis bulb's second stalk.  It is brown along one edge so I'm worried that it might dry up before blooming.

I shoveled 3" of snow off the sidewalk yesterday morning and then it started snowing again around 4 p.m.  When I checked the porch around 11 last night it looked like 2-3" more.  Chicago is getting blasted by lake effect snow and has a foot of new snow.  We're 60 miles away so we won't get that.


The first striped Amaryllis blooms are starting to fade so got a close up shot of one of the newer blooms.
 

15 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

I woke up to 6 1/2" this morning. The layout looks fun and colorful. Lots to look at and figure out placement for sure.

Lesley Gilbert said...

I'm liking the way you are going with this latest arrangement, seeing the colours slowly blending into each other like your 'colorwash' designs. I hope you manage another bloom from your 'fading' Amaryllis; the colours and petals are so beautiful. Our snow has gone for now and temps are 10c/52f at the moment :)

Candy said...

My eyes want to turn the dark points to the right corners of the blocks so they run upper right to lower left but then again who knows. What about a starburst kind of pattern with a darker center radiating out to light? Or vice versa?

Julierose said...

I like the idea of one color blending toward the next like a colorwash....

It is raining and 45 degrees--so we have slush and puddling all over...
just a real mess...and heavy fog as the snow melts...hoping this doesn't freeze in place now...What strange weather...
Stay warm and safe in all that cold and snow hugs, Julierose

sue s said...

I agree with Lesley; this has the look of a colorwash! (Not a bad thing.)It's been so fun watching your amaryllises.We have close to 10" here and the high will be 15 with blustering winds.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Loving the Crossed Canoe layout, Wanda!!

Needled Mom said...

The color placement is really fantastic. I love it. It has been a chilly and snowy time for you folks.

Marnie Haines said...

Really like the movement of color in this view. Whatever you do this is going to be another winner!
Marnie

Corrine and Eric said...

I really like the way this quilt is coming together!

Florida Farm Girl said...

I'm gonna tell you again how much I like that crossed canoe quilt! It's gorgeous. Stay safe up there.

BatikFanatic said...

I like the trend that your crossed canoes are taking... there's a much smoother integration of those deep reds (?) (or oranges?? hard to distinguish on my monitor) than there was a few days ago. Very inspiring, as well as a brightener for a cold day. That would make a lovely quilt...

JJM said...

I really like your newest crossed canoes layout . I like the diagonal twisted ribbon design I see also.

We too couldn't keep up with the continual snow showers yesterday.

JJM

Quiltdivajulie said...

My first Amaryllis Blossom opened this morning – with a second one close behind. Amazing. I do love your striped one! And those quilt blocks are growing on me ...

Vicki W said...

Well, you are certainly getting your cardio workouts in this week! I love the current layout for the canoe blocks.

Danice G said...

'Love the crossed canoes layout also. I have never seen crossed canoes in a anything but solids, but your fabrics are just wonderful.