Sunday, January 20, 2019

Winter is here..........

The sedum flower heads outside my dining room window.  We got about 4" of snow and it is going to be in the single digits today.  Yesterday morning I went out to shovel the sidewalk for the mailman but that was enough of the cold for me.   

I went through a bag of red pieces of less than a quarter yard and pulled all of the ones that read similar in color and value.  I need to cut 4.5" squares from these and from some of my red yardage.  It is hard to photograph red and they are all darker than they look here.

There were a few pieces too narrow for those squares but I need 2.5" strips too.






This is a little closer to the right color of red.  I think I'm going to use the white with black prints as my light color in the quilt that I showed on my blog a couple days ago.

11 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we had snow yesterday too - that was a big system that went through we are only 21 this morning hope it doesn't last long. I love your reds.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It is nice to know I am not the only one who clears the snow specifically for the postal carrier. I look forward to seeing the star quilt in those beautiful reds.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Reds are my favorite color. They are not that abundant, especially bright ones and ones in batiks. Your assortment is beautiful. Pretty darn wintery here- a foot of snow, low temps and wind.

JJM said...

I missed another day, our Seattle family is here and have been skiing up a storm. They even got me on the mountain today. (^._,^). Lots of fresh new powder. Oh Wanda , your green and coral selections is going to make a gorgeous quilt. And now today you showed your gorgeous reds. Anxious to see your creations you'll be using .

JJM

JJM said...

I meant ..... anxious to see what you create with those stunning fabrics.

Needled Mom said...

Pretty reds! Stay warm with those frigid temps.

Roxanne said...

I leave my sedum heads for snowy days too—they’ve been pretty lately.
Yay! You’re doing the red two block quilt the Wanda way!

EYSchmitt said...

Love those reds! So will you have washed all those reds beforehand so they don't bleed into the whites?

Kat said...

Oh, I like red and white/black accent quilts! Looking forward to seeing how this one grows!

Nancy A: rangerer@sbcglobal.net said...

Love the fabrics and am looking forward to seeing what you are going to do with them. We had planned to drive from AL to a Chicago suburb last Friday and Saturday and then visit Champaign/Urbana this week. But on Thurs. freezing rain was predicted for Kentucky and probably southern IL, so we decided to stay home and not chance it. So glad we did. The pictures we saw of route 57 were not pretty, and the news reports sounded bad for the areas we were going. Our high today will be 46. That is cold enough for me -- I guess I have lost my northern hardiness:)

Mystic Quilter said...

Gorgeous collection of reds, waiting to see what you're going to do with them