Monday, January 14, 2019

Finish # 3 for 2019..........

This batik orphan block quilt is machine quilted with a medium size meander pattern.
It ended up 52.5" x 68".








The back is 4 strips of batik fabric leftover from other backings.  I thought that was perfect for a quilt with so much variety on the front.  I will wash this one to soften it up since the batiks on the back are unwashed fabric.  I use Orvis soap, pure soap, not detergent to wash my quilts.  Detergent scrubs the fabric but soap just cleans the fibers so it is kinder to quilting fabric.  I think some quilt shops still sell it but I get mine at a farm supply store.  It is a livestock soap so that is the department you need to look in.

12 comments:

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

I used to use Orvis for all my laundry! But now you have to buy it by the pound and I only seem to run across it by a 7# jug. I just might have to finally break down and get it!!!

Frog Quilter said...

I love it! The recipient will love it.

patty a. said...

I have a big tub of Orvis tucked under my sink in the laundry room. I need to dig it out and remember to use it. What were the problems you had with the binding? The quilt turned out so lively and colorful. I am sure someone will love it and you have another finish!

Hedy said...

It’s a beautiful quilt Wanda, I love it.

Quiltdivajulie said...

It may have given you fits but it turned out beautifully. I love the variety and the scrappy-ness of the entire quilt.

JJM said...

Your Orphan block quilt is like a large sampler... It's a great piece to study on a cold dreary winter day. It really has your exerberant beauty.

JJM

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

You make me laugh! And it's still a busy, happy quilt. I think anyone would be happy to get it.

Linda Swanekamp said...

The quilt is lovely and happy. What a joy!

Elsie Montgomery said...

I like this sampler too. It shows your taste in colors, etc. in that all the blocks, even though orphans, play so nicely together!

Sharon said...

I always chuckle when I hear a quilter recommend the farm/feed store for Orvis soap. We used that on our cow's tails when I was in 4H. Made them white and soft! I love this "left over" quilt., and your flowers are beautiful.

Mystic Quilter said...

I can't believe I have been so lax in reading blog posts!! Your orphan blocks have mixed together beautifully.

Linda R said...

Boy oh boy I love this quilt! Is there a pattern or was it left over blocks? If so..you should make up a pattern for it. I will buy one!!��❤️