Wednesday, January 23, 2019

12 blocks, 3 layouts.............

I finished all twelve 16" blocks of Marcia Derse fabric and this is layout one, the same layout I have been showing each day.











This is layout 2 which is the one I ended up with on my Stonehenge fabric quilt.












Here is layout 3.

So which one did I end up sewing?











I decided on layout 3.  In this photo I have 2" strips of the background fabric hanging on both sides of the quilt.  I had overcut  on the 2" strips and hoped that they would work.  I think that is enough border to make the blocks float.  If you look at the top and bottom edges you see what it would look like without borders.




I don't have to wonder any longer if the shortest bud stalk that was trapped between the 2 tall ones is going to bloom.  Yesterday it wiggled out from between them and started opening.

9 comments:

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

I liked #1 and #3... both will have that random feel to the block settings. Yes, just enough for floating!!! My Christmas cactus put out another bud and bloomed just this week... and 2 orchids are getting ready to pop some flowers too. Can't wait to see which colors they are. Stay warm!

Debbie said...

Love the setting you picked. I always like to see patterns float. You added just enough border for it.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Glad you went with 3 -- and if you need more of that background for your borders, I thunk I have some in the stash.

Needled Mom said...

That was a great choice. I love the way it floats with the 2" borders.

Debra Campbell said...

#3 was my pick with the 2.5" border.

patty a. said...

I am in awe that you have all the blocks sewn together already! I am glad that bud was able to work its way out of a tight space. It is going to be sad when the last stalk blooms.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the layout chosen. I love the extra borders to make the boxes float and not bang against the edge.

JJM said...

"Floating frames" ultamatly designed to perfection. It was a treat to see your final decision on this one. And OMG your amaryllis indoor garden has been awesome this winter.

JJM

Sharon said...

It's fun to see the different layouts! I like your choice of #3 with extra background to make the blocks float.
Your amaryllis is beautiful! They're so good to have in the house when it's winter outside. I haven't had one in years. :(