Sunday, October 14, 2018

Nature's last blooms...........

I spent a day yesterday just doing clean up in the basement and outside.  I noticed the last few blooms that have survived the cold nights.  This is the invasive bell flower that grows about 18" tall.  This little guy is about 6" tall with 3 blooms and buds.
I was trying to decide if this plant was a Coreopsis and then It had one lonely bloom to tell me that yes, it is Coreopsis.






The Dianthus is a hardy little plant with blooms among the fallen leaves.








The flowers are tiny on the Veronica but it is still blooming.  I was a little disappointed that it flopped over this year and was covering the 2 Coral Bells.




I had picked one of the last Geranium blooms and have some of the last tomatoes finishing ripening on the windowsill.  We are still having below normal daytime temperatures with frosty nights.

8 comments:

Hedy said...

It was so chilly here Saturday, not normal at all. I’m going to dig up my two big geraniums and store them for the winter. Planting some day lilies in their spot. Not had a frost down here yet, when that happens I’ll cut everything down.

Sylvia Anderson said...

Good morning Wanda.....Your window sill looks just like mine right now, minus the flower. It's sad to see the growing season come to an end. Hopefully we get some warmer days, to do some yard work finished.

JJM said...

I love autumn, but hate to see our blossoms say good by. Glad your found some blossoms to photograph for us. And your tomatoes look delicious !

JJM

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It's getting cold here too and I am trying to enjoy the last little bits of color while they are still here.

Connie said...

Our weather is certainly changing, too.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr it's time for jackets and sweaters again.
Happy Autumn!
Connie :)

Mystic Quilter said...

Delicious looking tomatoes!! I have the bell flower growing in my garden and have tried a few times to dig it all up but it just keeps coming back and the ones I have are about 2 feet tall.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Those are gorgeous tomatoes! We've had damp gray rainy weather that is FAR cooler than we're used to. The weather report says 71 but it feels more like 51. 'tis the season though.

patty a. said...

It is nice to still have a little color here and there. I have one of my coneflowers that is blooming like crazy. It is such a fun hit of color in an otherwise green yard.