Wednesday, September 19, 2018

More trial stars...........

I'm continuing to cut more Marcia Derse fabrics and trying layouts on my ironing table.  I figure I can go back to my photos to find the ones I actually want to sew.
Check yesterday's post if you want to see the beginnings of this block.  I removed the star points and added the purple with red circles.
Then I removed the pink with blue dots and added a different center, different small squares and removed the striped triangles.  I put in the other turquoise triangles with the stripes going the opposite direction and orange dotted triangles.  I will try some more today.

The pots of Coleus are the winners again this year.  They take a lot of watering but they are showy all the way into fall.  I gave my daughter in law the first pot I planted and then finally planted the last tiny little plants in this pot.  I just buy the little 6 packs of tiny plants with a variety of colors in each.  They fill in fast.  I don't have much luck planting them in the ground but have great luck with the pots.

8 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I have given up putting coleus in the ground -- the deer eat them like candy!

Hedy said...

I love that pot of coleus, maybe next year I’ll try it.

patty a. said...

Both of those blocks are very pretty! Are you planning on making all the blocks in the quilt the same or making them in a variety of fabrics?

I read Libby's comment - good to know not to bother planting coleus at my house.

Roxanne said...

Coleus are considered deer resistant. We planted lots of coleus this year and the deer don’t touch them. We have lots of hostas too but they get eaten if we don’t spray them. In fact, a few hosta bloomed and the deer ate the blooms only as they hadn’t been sprayed yet. Dessert and no salad!
Wow, your block color play is fun!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Our coleus do best in pots, too. We love the lime greens but next year we hope to add in the deep wine reds.

Nann said...

Your blocks are shaping up so nicely....I just commented on your earlier post that I've made the block before. The colorways you're using are inspiring me to try it again. (And 20 years after the first effort I'm sure I'll be more efficient at putting fabrics together, cutting, and piecing.)

Linda Swanekamp said...

Coleus in pots- me too. They have done very well this year, but I water all the time. Interesting blocks.

JJM said...

Fascinating to see how many designs you can create with this one block. Looking forward to more.

JJM