Saturday, June 30, 2018

The die I used for the X part.........

On the left is the X block piece and on the right is the original signature piece from a Studio die.  I actually got a quote from Accuquilt for making the die for the piece on the left in 2 sizes.  It was a little more than I expected and I couldn't order it at the time but I told them they should consider making it in several sizes because it was a wanted shape for many blocks including the Kansas Dugout block.


Fast forward to their new product a couple years ago.  The QUBE came in 4 blocks sizes.  When they went on sale at the end of last year I purchased a couple sizes.  They ended up taking out the Drunkard's Patch dies and put in Bow tie dies in the new packages.  So now I know why they had them at half price to get rid of the original packages.  This is not the size I'm using in the blocks, it is from the 8" package.  When I bought the ones on sale they were called Classics.  Now they call the new package Corners.

This one from the 8" package makes a 4" finished block when you add two 2" finished triangles on the sides.  That was perfect for my 10" X and + blocks.  I can use the thinner GO! dies on my Studio cutter with an adapter that raises them to the right height.  I can cut 10 layers with Studio dies and 6 layers with a GO! die.

I will post my June recap tomorrow.

4 comments:

JustCallMeElle said...

Thanks, Wanda. I have avoided the temptation of the Qubes. Guess I will have to look them over a little more closely.

Hedy said...

Good information to know, I’ve sort of ignored them.

Mystic Quilter said...

We have a store here in Auckland stocking theQUBES and the cutters, I had a price from them for the Go BIG which was pretty expensive, the QUBE was over $250!!! I think I'll go with the ordinary Go die.

JJM said...

Yesterday and today was very interesting to me. I do not have a die cutter but I can see how great they are for cutting layers of fabric, for your quilts. And your layers all look so perfect, never any waving edges.

JJM