Friday, December 9, 2016

In the mail...........

I was so excited to receive a Christmas postcard from Vicki Welsh again this year.  The one in the center is the new one with previous years' cards surrounding it.  She uses her hand dyed fabrics to make them with an occasional commercial print on them.  I have these on display in my studio.
My waxed Amaryllis bulb that doesn't need watering is growing nicely.  Last week's photo is here


















Last night I sewed another batch of 16 blocks.  One of the 8' fluorescent bulbs is burning out by my best design wall.  I need to decide where I'm going to lay out this quilt.


Another of the pink and white cacti is blooming.  The next one that will bloom will be the one I call champagne.  It is a pale gold or beige color.  I have 2 of those and they both have buds.

This is just taken at a different angle.  I love the size of the blossoms. I have 28 cacti plants right now and I have 2 plants with these large blossoms.  I love my indoor winter garden.
 

14 comments:

Debbie said...

Your card collection is fabulous. Vicki is so talented. Love that waxed bulb, as it is so unique. And the purples are like sparkling wine!

Sharon W. said...

All those Christmas gifts! One of my best gifts is your "Wanda's Glorious Cookies" recipe which just came out of my cookie folder for this year's preparations. Thanks again!!!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Vicki is awesome and so are her cards! Love the tonal variation on the blossoms. Most of my cactus are done and I need to stop at Trader Joe's and buy a new one- I have no purple or strong two tone plants.

Gene Black said...

Vicki always makes such lovely cards. I got my first one from her this year.

patty a. said...

I will post mine on Monday that is the postcard I got from Vicki. Have a great weekend and stay warm!

Needled Mom said...

Beautiful postcards! I remain fascinated with the amaryllis.

Lynda said...

Love the hand made cards. A word of warning, check on Google for problems about waxed bulbs. Thanks again for all the work you do with this blog. Love it.
Lynda

LynneP said...

I'm loving your purple 16 patches; I look forward to seeing the quilt as it progresses!
Lucky you to receive Vicki's postcards.

Lesley Gilbert said...

Lots of lovely photo's today to drool over :) Those postcards look so pretty grouped together on your wall. I like the one in the centre and something a bit like the cards I am making for family this year. Your Amaryllis has spurted up quickly in the past week - I do hope it's savable after it finishes flowering.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wandy, Roberta from Elgin. Love your Christmas cactus. Did you get any new ones this year? I always run out and get a new one also. I love the creamy one and last years star ones. I have great luck with the Walmart cactus. Wishing you a happy Christmas.

Quiltdivajulie said...

The wax coated bulb is fascinating -- such an inventive idea. And your gathering of Vicki's cards is beyond wonderful!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

What beautiful flowers! I just have a couple of indoor plants, and they don't bloom, so it is lovely to see such color on such a cold winter day.

Paige said...

I love your winter garden also! My grandmother's catus didn't bloom this year, so it is nice seeing yours!

Kathy H said...

Those large cactus blooms are gorgeous. And thanks for sharing your Christmas postcards. I like to make some each year but couldn't decide what to do this year. So it was nice to have some inspiration. Merry Christmas.