Saturday, August 27, 2016

Flickering lights..........

I wanted to sew some crazy pieced blocks last night but one of the 8' fluorescent bulbs is burning out and flickers.  That will give me a migraine so I turned on a lamp instead but decided there wasn't enough light to make it fun.  I have a bulb burnt out in the basement too so I bought 2 new bulbs yesterday and now just have to wait for someone 6' tall to change them for me.
I needed a new steel tray for my AccuQuilt Studio die cutter so I bought a new die on sale at the same time.  The trays eventually become warped and the dies don't cut as well as they should because they are sitting a little too low in the tray.  You can tell if you need a new one by setting your tray on a flat surface and if you can rock it side to side (or end to end) it is warped.  I have had 3 trays in 5 years.  The AccuQuilt company says you may need to replace it every year but it depends on how much you use your die cutter.  I do a lot of cutting on mine.
Here are some of the variations using this die.  Diamonds aren't a lot of fun to cut with a ruler and rotary cutter.  This die will cut some nice accurate blocks.

I mixed 2 batches of cookie dough yesterday because the art quilters are coming Monday.  I'll probably wait to bake them on Sunday because I like to serve fresh cookies.  Today will be spent cleaning the basement.

10 comments:

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

I absolutely hate flickering lights.... and poor light too, so I would have had to do something else too. I may be hanging some shop lights over my cutting table.... I am tired of shadows and dull light. Just don't really want to put holes in the ceiling because I will have to repair those!!!

Sewing Junkie said...

I get headaches from a good fluorescent light. I prefer the regular lighting. I worked under fluorescent lighting for years and had many many migraines. I know how they effect me. Chris

Hedy said...

I don't have the studio cutter, just the regular GO. I do like it for cutting but am disappointed that my 2.5" die that cuts 9 at one time didn't last but a few months. I didn't use it all that much either. My strip cutters are fantastic but not this 2.5" die. GO's are a miracle machine.

Gene Black said...

I understand about the flickering light. I was sitting with mom for her eye appointment yesterday and the lamp beside me was flickering. I reached over and turned it off. It doesn't cause me to have a migraine but it is very annoying.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hate flickering lights too.
I have not used my Go cutter as often as I had thought I would but think over time I will come to figure out what shapes suit me best.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

When I worked, I had my own office and did not use the overhead florescent lights. Even when they don't flicker they pulse ever so inconspicuously and would give me a headache. When our company moved to a new factory, our offices were in a common area with overhead lighting. It contributed to my retirement.

I love your patchwork. I'm going to try blocks like these when I get a scrap stash accumulated.
xx, Carol

Quiltdivajulie said...

Joining the near-universal dislike of flickering fluorescent lighting. I had it in all the offices/hallways I worked in - to counter it I had sunlight light bulbs in task lights I brought from home - two and sometimes 3 to bathe my work area in "happy" light that did not flicker. The constant heavy roar of the A/C/Heat units (blowers were directly above my desk), the dismally poor lighting, and the large amount of droning background noise definitely contributed to my earlier than planned retirement.

I can only imagine what fun you will have with that new die!

Needled Mom said...

Flickering lights are so frustrating. I hope you can find that tall individual soon!!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I have been switching my fluorescents to LEDs as the price has come done. Besides the flickering, the hum makes me crazy. I am begging my husband to change the undercounter kitchen lights to LEDs because of the hum and flicker. LEDs are not supposed to be better for migraines, but I think they are for me. I need to set up a big space and just get all my scraps cut on my new Studio Cutter.

Cindy P. said...

I always enjoy the photos of your indoor activities and your outdoor gardening endeavors. I too like the accuracy of the GO cutter. However, I've not seen the tray before where I buy my dies. Is it an Accuquilt product or just a kitchen type tray? Do you use it for all your cut pieces and moving them from cutting area to sewing area or storage or both? Thanks again for sharing your beautifu fabricl art!