Tuesday, July 1, 2014

June recap.......


I didn't have any finishes, just 3 starts that turned into tops before the end of the month.  I had company at the beginning of the month (and the cleaning that preceded that) and a program and workshop to prepare for at the end of the month.  I spent time pulling weeds, cutting volunteer trees, and trimming bushes, a little each day.  It was a full month but none of at the quilting machine.
 I only finished 2 dishcloths although I have 2 in progress, one at the half way point and one about 3/4 done.











In the garden the first Coneflower has bloomed.  Also some weeds blooming in the background....   I dug up about 15 Coneflower plants which I shared with friends.  The back garden was way too wild and thick with plants.  I'm making an effort this year to tame it.






 The tomato vines are thriving.  They are starting to get top heavy so I'm putting stakes in the ground and tying them to the cages.  I have lots of tomatoes on the Early Girl, some grape tomatoes and pear tomatoes and a couple big ones on another vine.  I see one of the grape tomatoes is turning red.
This is three of the wintered over Coleus plants.  There is a clay pot under there that they are planted in.



Milkweed came up again in the front garden.  Last night we had several batches of storms and I saw that this one was laying down on the sidewalk so I'll pull it out today.
I bought some new tiny Coleus plants to add to the ones I wintered over.  This pot sits right in front of the hydrangea bush.  Something is eating the leaves of the Coleus so there probably won't be any more good photos of them.

14 comments:

Sewing Junkie said...

We had 2 inches of rain overnight. now the grass will grow like crazy. Your tops are really striking. I did a ton of sewing, but nothing finished like yours. Busy months make for little finishing. Chris

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love coleus, too! I have never been able to winter them over. The colors kind of remind me of your quilts!

Mary said...

I think starting and finishing three tops is a lot and the pictures from your yard are really pretty. Enjoy your tomatoes!

Gene Black said...

My June was not all that productive either. But it was a good month nonetheless.

Needled Mom said...

It's so hard to share sewing time with gardening time, but you have done a great job in creating! Your tops look wonderful, Wanda.

Anonymous said...

All that you did is a lot more than many of the rest of us did in June.
Sally in St. Paul

Cathi said...

Getting three really stunning tops made, having company, getting ready for and giving a trunk show, doing loads of gardening - good grief! You got loads and loads done.
And those three tops? Absolutely stunning!

Cathi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dolly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JJM said...

What a treat to see all your blossoms and plants and those 3 quilts are just perfection. The designs, colorful fabrics just made my day.

JJM

Julie S said...

WOW! I have never seen a milkweed in bloom! I grew up in MN where milkweed line the ditches; strange that I never knew that they would bloom! I think the monarch larva probably ate them up before they had a chance to produce a flower, or the farmers mowed them down! I am so glad you shared the picture today.

Charlotta said...

I'm glad I don't feel compelled to write out a summary of my accomplishments every month and compare them to yours, as that would make me feel very inadequate! Instead, I just get to enjoy all the beauty that you've created. Thank you. :)

Roxanne said...

I was looking today at Kathy Doughty's book that the "Soul Searching" quilt comes from. You have expanded on her already wonderful pattern in several different and well executed ways.
I've started collecting a few white with black fabrics because of you--something I didn't have before. Just really like the way you think! What would you do differently with a black background?

Ruth said...

I love the variety of coleus plants - they are so pretty! I just bought one yesterday for my DIL. You got me going on the dish cloths and I recently made 3-4 with leftover yarn. I need to get more yarn! They are fun to make and I like making them while traveling.