I should have turned on more lights in the basement before I took these photos. Of course the batiks are prettier when you are right there with them. This is layout #1 starting with the lightest blocks at the top and darkest at the bottom.
In layout #2 I just turned a few random blocks sideways to see if I liked it.
In layout #3 every other block is turned a quarter turn to create a woven design. Layouts 1 and 3 were the ones I had in mind when I was making the blocks. The blocks will finish at 10" so this is a 60" x 70" layout. I thought about making another group of blocks a shade darker than the bottom ones and splitting it into two smaller quilts.
I ironed the fabric for the back of the red/tan flannel quilt but didn't get it sewn together. I decided instead to make the rest of the blocks that I needed for this flannel quilt that I started back here.
I needed to make 22 more of these blocks and cut a few plain squares. Now I'm ready to go to the design wall with this one.
There were three blooms all on one side of the cactus so I needed to take a photo. The bloom on the left is just starting to shrivel up and the one on the right just opened up.