Sunday, July 7, 2013

20 combinations.......



I have 20 combinations sewn.  There are 2 blocks of each combination except one which wasn't full width strips.  I have to choose 12 more combinations of 2 to get my 63 blocks which will make a quilt approximately 56" x 72".  I think that will be a good couch throw size.  I need to put some blocks with darker darks next to that dark block in the top row.  Then it won't stand out so much.
I went out in the morning to capture the image of my jungle.  Some weeds are taller than I am.  The purple coneflowers are anywhere from 3' to 5' tall.  The squirrels knocked over the sunflower (a volunteer from seed that falls from the feeder) but it decided to bloom anyway.
At 8:30 last night I noticed the sky had an apricot glow and here is the same garden with the glow bouncing off of it.





I have been pulling weeds by these 3 hostas but there is a volunteer oak tree there and lots of redbud shoots from the tree close by.  More work is needed to neaten it up.



I'm glad I was able to capture the weird color caused by the glow from the sky.

11 comments:

Sewing Junkie said...

Light plays a huge role in our vision of things. Amazing the cast of light can change in a short time also. Chris

Mary said...

I love the color combinations in your quilt.

Needled Mom said...

The blocks look wonderful.

I love the colors in the garden. The sunflower is a delightful volunteer addition.

Elaine said...

I love "jungle" gardens-I just call mine an "English" garden and call it a day. As always-love the blocks. Heading to a Mary Lou Weidman 2 day class gotta go:)

Anonymous said...

I am glad that no storm followed the weird apricot light..... I am tired of oak tree volunteers....which really means I am tired of squirrels in my yard. Oaks have such long tap roots that by the time I see it it can not be "pulled" it has to have some trowel action as well. But I am not ready to give up the garden. Have been thinking of how to make it "smaller". Ha ha.

suemac said...

That light makes such a pretty glow to your garden. Your sixteen patch is really coming along. Can't wait to see the finish.

Terri said...

Are there any oak trees near enough to drop acorns into your garden? I submit that you have gardening squirrels. Mine have brought lots of different acorns into my yard, and some of my potted plants! I have little oaks all over, and usually in places that are quite inappropriate for a tree to be. Are you going to leave your oak grow there? I've gotta remove most of mine.
Hugs

magicmoonmusings said...

Your blog is a joy to read. I'm so inspired by your quilts! I love your colour sense and also how effectively you use prints. The fabrics you choose are the types I drool over on the bolt but have never been able to effectively use, so thank you for sharing so many terrific in-progress pictures of your work.

JJM said...

Nice Sunday post Wanda, the warm colors in your block combinations go along with the heat of the summer sun this year.

Your gardens look lush and lovely. My favorite photo is with your bird house and sun flower.

My sister and I put in another blue berry garden this morning, before the heat hit us again. Feels so good to get that done. We now have 4 blue berry 'patches' with several different varieties. With 8 bushes in each plot.

JJM


Brown Family said...

It is amazing how the different light changes the look of the garden!

Sheila said...

Beautiful blocks. Interesting how shades of light can vary during the morning and evening.