Thursday, May 10, 2012

Quilting and bar tacks...

I went clothing shopping yesterday.  I really didn't have any nice clothes for summer.  I found a few things and will probably shop one more time next week.  I really don't like most styles on the racks so it isn't much fun hitting the dressing room.  When I got home I started quilting the quilt I basted on Tues.  I will be changing thread a lot.  I got most of the red/pink areas quilted and a little of the pale yellow area.
This is what the quilting looks like on the back.  I am quilting this one in the same manner as the other 2 in the series.
I worked on the corners of more of the mug rugs.  After I talked of my dilemma yesterday and listened to the comments, I decided that if I was purchasing this item in a store, I wouldn't be questioning why there was a bar tack by machine in the corners.  I am doing all of the ones that have busier print binding by machine and still doing some of the plainer ones by hand.  I have 30 done out of 55 now.

11 comments:

Sewing Junkie said...

Great idea. The bar tacks will make it your own detail. Chris

Unknown said...

I don't like shopping much either. I tend to only go when I need something, which is a good thing as it is easier on my wallet. But I don't like the dressing room either. Hope you were able to find a few things that worked for you. I really am liking the quilt you are quilting. Not sure if I remember seeing this one on your blog, although you probably did post about it at some point. Anyway, I can't wait to see it completed!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Most people do not questions things like the tacks in the corners on your mug rugs - they believe it was supposed to be that way to begin with :) unless they make things they do not question.
Karen
p.s. I hate shopping for clothes too - who designs these things!

material pursuit said...

Shopping for quilt fabric is soooo much more rewarding than shopping for clothes!!!

Needled Mom said...

I actually like the look of the bar tacks. It is a great solution to corner issues.

CapitolaQuilter said...

The bar tack looks very intentional and professional, I like it.

Penny Schine Gold said...

I wonder what a bar tack would look like parallel to the miter; would still catch both layers I think. . .

Taos Sunflower said...

Bar tacks are perfect. I'm with you on clothes shopping; if I can't get it from LL Bean, Target or WalMart, I probably don't wear it.

Anonymous said...

Is that bar tack by hand or machine ? I really can not tell, and it looks great.

As always your quilting has supreme precision. You are the couture lady of design and quilting.

Good luck finding summer garments. It is difficult to find a great looking outfit for ladies in our age bracket. I love classic's and they are hard to find in todays retail stores.

J~MT

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I like your bar tack, it gets the job done. And the quilting on the latest in your production line is really looking good!

Pat said...

What a great idea using a bar tack. I hate clothes shopping. I can never find what I want in the stores. Fashion is geared towards the young and I like just a casual feel in my clothing. I just never know what to wear or what to buy when I shop. Good luck on your shopping.