I looked up several tutorials to come up with an average size for a mug rug but it looks like anything goes. This one was made from these leftovers. This one is 8" x 5 and 3/4"
By the end of the day I had made 10 mug rugs. One was a disaster so I learned what not to do. It's on the bottom of the pile in the last photo on this post.
I had enough of the braid patchwork from many, many years ago to make 3 mug rugs. They are 9 and 1/8" x 6 and 3/4". The fused hearts are cut with my Studio cutter with a Go die and adaptor.
I guess this can be considered 2 pairs of mug rugs. They aren't exactly the same piecing but have matching binding.
Here are all 10 of them. The bottom one is the disaster. I tried the method of folding the backing around to the front for a binding but it is wobbly looking. I thought I had taken a photo of it but I guess I didn't. I used the same purple, black, and white patchwork as I used on the journal cover the day before.