My friends and I had a great time yesterday talking and eating and talking some more. I hadn't seen a couple of them for over a year. They left around 3:30 so by 6 p.m. I was ready to do something on my clean cutting tables. I have had these 12 fabrics chosen for a project for about 4 months, all pressed and ready to cut into.
This is the original pattern I had for this project but Lynne has a tutorial on her blog with different measurements that I like better. I made a small quilt with the original directions a few years ago.
It took about 45 minutes to cut all of the pieces for 24 blocks and 2 hours to sew them to this stage of the project (while watching 2 shows on Comcast's ON DEMAND).
I decided to stack 4 blocks dark/light/dark/light and slice them all at once. I also worked at the corner of a table so I could stand on one side for this first cut and.......
on another side for the second cut. Since the cut was 6.5" and that is the width of my ruler, this is a no brainer.
Then I shuffled the pieces like we do in so many of the stack and slash quilts. This gives me 4 blocks with the same 8 fabrics but the position changes for each color.
After I had 2 sets of them cut and sewn I put the resulting 8 blocks on the wall. There will be a lot more variety as I get the next 4 stacks slashed and sewn. I would be bored to tears working with just 12 fabrics if this wasn't a fast quilt. As it is it will probably be done tomorrow.
As for my friends' opinion on the quilt yesterday, they liked the 9 patch border too so I may add it to that quilt.