I finally got brave enough to sew the top and bottom borders. I had to take in about 6 seams to make the border fit. I don't think it is obvious that some of the 9 patches are narrower. I really like how it turned out and am glad I put the border on. I need to choose a backing right away and get the seam sewn in it and then it is more likely to get finished.
I made 2 more blocks and decided this one will be square. I see I didn't get the top right block positioned right, but it was late at night and I didn't want to go back down to the basement to take another photo. I will look for setting triangle fabric today and audition a few.