First I'll show how I used the red panel fabric. It's nothing too spectacular so I hope you aren't disappointed. I started out wanting to make 16 patch blocks and made a mistake and was making 64 patch blocks. When I realized my error I made some of the smaller blocks and then thought of that fabric to break up the checkerboard. I have lots more blocks to make so the layout will change as I work on it.
I guess I have been living in a fog because I didn't realize this was the week the new season of TV shows start. That means I'll get a lot more sewing done while I watch my old familiar favorites, Castle, the CSI variations, the Good Wife, etc. I got more done on this one last night than I thought I would. Only the top left 4 rows are sewn together as a unit. I had sewn the individual rows on Sunday but got the edge pieces done and rows sewn together now. I got a lot of the edge pieces bordered and I'm really glad I went with a consistent pair of prints on them.
While sifting through the 2.5" strips for the 16 patch blocks, I pulled out all of the strips that weren't full width and cut pieces for this quilt. This is in one of Kaffe's books and it calls for all 2.5" squares. I couldn't see any reason to cut 3 of the same to sew back together to make the cross bar so I cut 6.5" strips for them and 2 squares to finish each cross. I have no idea how large this one will be. It's just a fun play thing right now.