Saturday, August 8, 2009

It rained all day, a perfect day for sewing..............
and I never made it to the sewing machine. I seemed to find a million other things that needed to be done. One was hooking up my 19" HDTV to my computer so it could be my monitor. It is about 2.5" wider than my old monitor and 1" shorter. I just wanted a little TV to sit on the top shelf of the desk by my computer when I bought it a month ago. Since I would be sitting only 2 feet away I didn't want it too big. If I had known it was going to be my monitor I might have gone for a 22". I was able to use the video and audio cables from the old monitor so it didn't cost me anything extra.

I have the computer up on the desk to my left so I can easily get to all of the parts on the back when I need to plug or unplug something. I also think it stays cleaner than if it were sitting on the floor. My printer is to my right AND my desk is never that clean. I had to move everything to switch monitors.
*********
Yesterday was strips and curves day on my list but the bin of Christmas fabrics that I needed to audition for a border are behind the double design wall that my Rosebud quilt blocks are on. I did a little hand sewing on my queen size binding and caught up with a couple friends by phone. I also cleaned up my laptop, deleting unused programs, getting rid of excess and duplicate photos, and running defrag. It is a little faster now.
**********
Today is Rosebud day so maybe I can get the final blocks made and stitch the top together.

10 comments:

Millie said...

You are 100% correct about the computer staying cleaner if it's not on the floor. You would not believe how much dust collects inside if they are on the floor.

Our weather was -perfect- yesterday. Sunny, warm, dry, perfect. Thanks for keeping the rain!

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

We finally got the rain. We needed it. My water bill was suffering.

Love the new tv/monitor. Great idea.

All the work you have been doing is wonderful. The Argyle project is wow!

Beena said...

This set up looks like it will work out really well for you. It's great you were able to hook it all up and fix the problem without having to buy anything, too.

Hope you have a good day and get lots done with Rosebud!

Nina Marie said...

Don'tja hate it when life gets in the way of the really important things (like sewing)?!?! I've had my computer on my big antique office desk for 2 years now and its much cleaner this way!

Betsy said...

Wanda, I admire your computer saviness. Tomorrow my hubby is going to set up my classroom equipment. It would sit there all year if I did not get help.

Joyce said...

Nice to have a large monitor. I am currently using my laptop but may need to go to something bigger soon. Then I'd need a Blackberry for traveling... it never ends.
We've had about a week of rain and very little sunshine. I think my tomatoes will never ripen.

Unknown said...

Sometimes other things tend to take precedence over sewing. Although I know that we would like to just forget about the other things. But I am sure that you feel better now that everything is complete. You can now sew with no distractions.

hetty said...

Sometimes we need to take a day and do things that may not be what we would like to do, but are things that make our life easier afterwards. I always love it when my desk is neat and tidy! Using the TV as a monitor is a great idea. I didn't realize that was possible. Today is a new day. Happy Quilting!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Great job of setting this up. My PC is in an inset in my desk, almost on the floor, but it is where I sew, and the lint is unreal. I'm hoping my cables are long enough to move it. I have lots of large flat things that would fit that lower space rather nicely!

Mary-Kay said...

It's raining here too! All day! And that's a great monitor/tv to have in your sewing room. I have a very large 34" one and it's actually too big but I can read blogs from across the room. Have a great day sewing up the rosebud blocks.