Thursday, November 6, 2008

Washed and crinkled

Wilkal asked yesterday to see the back. It is a black and white fabric I have had for around 20 years (and I'm finally using it, LOL). I washed this quilt and 2 baby quilts to get them soft and crinkly. If you click on the picture you can get a closer look. While moving things in the basement I found a box with this quilt started in it. It is yarn dyed woven flannel fabrics. For some of you who are new to working with fabrics, most fabrics are printed. Yarn dyes are woven with thread that has been dyed and the way the weaving takes place creates the patterns, usually plaids and stripes. Yarn dyed wovens compared to printed woven fabric are more colorfast. That doesn't mean they won't fade, they just don't fade as fast. And talking about fading, I'm not talking about color running, I'm talking about fading from sunlight and washing.
Here are some more pieces waiting to be made into blocks
and here are some blocks waiting to be cut into strips for piecing. Can you see that I pieced the light colored triangle here? I was running out of fabric and had a few more blocks to make.
It is clouding up and starting to rain. I can hear thunder off in the distance. Our warm weather will be gone today.

13 comments:

Christina said...

I do the same thing, I have to use every scrap. You wouldn't know it though with all of the small scraps I have. You do beautiful work.

Paula said...

I really like your blocks. What are the chances that you can do a tutorial on making them??

Anonymous said...

Thanks for showing us the back of quilt. And I really like the soft 'crinkly' effect you achieved from washing. It adds another dimension to this great quilt.

WOW ! ! ! the flannel yarn dyed squares are exciting. I can't get over what you run across in your storage area's. Love it and am anxious to see it complete.

J~MT

Sequana said...

Do you call those blocks feathered log cabins?

another thing about yarn dyed flannels is that the design runs more on the grain...

yes, i think our Indian Summer is over......altho it's still 64° here

Quiltdivajulie said...

Must be everywhere today - the wind has picked up, the rain is starting, temp is dropping, and the leaves are raining down off the trees.

Absolutely love the "crinkly" quilt photo that includes the back and binding!!!

Elaine Adair said...

Oh my - that is another possible use for these shirts I've loved! Thanks for the idea!

Brenda said...

Really love your quilts. I'm working on one myself. Decided to do hand quilting.

Anonymous said...

Thank you!
I really like it. I too love the crinkly soft look after the wash.

Are those other blocks a form of Delectable mountains?

Julie Bagamary said...

I like to way these blocks are constructed from a larger half square triangles. Clever.

hetty said...

Love your 'crinkled' quilt! Those blocks were a great find. That reminds me.... I did a workshop on the construction of that block a few years ago but I have never finished it. Maybe it's time to drag it out and work on it some more.

Diane said...

You've unearthed another treasure. Those flannel blocks would make a cosy lapquilt. Great block pattern.

meggie said...

Lightbulb moment for me! I often wondered how those blocks were made.
Thankyou!

Tine said...

Lightbulb moment for me too! LOL! Beautiful pattern and thanks for the info on the fabrics, I didn't know these are more colorfast...