Sunday, November 30, 2008

Foundation piecing

I made this little Santa wallhanging more than 15 years ago and he still doesn't have any eyes or nose or bell or pompom on his hat. I found it down in the basement with my boxes of paper/foundation piecing patterns and stencils. This one was a stencil with 3 sections that you traced on the foundation material of your choice. I taught this as a class and we used Easy Tear (or Tear Easy, 2 different brand names). I drew them on the Easy Tear, we sewed each of the 3 parts and sewed them together and then we tore out the Easy Tear. It is a sheer product so it is easy to see where you are lining up the new fabrics each time. I only have about 30" left on the binding of the Kaffe quilt from a few days ago. Yea!! The leftovers from Thanksgiving are delicious. And on the downside, we are supposed to get our first snowstorm of the year today and tomorrow. They have upped the amount to around 6" but I hope we get less.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your Santa... He is just waiting to come alive and I know you will see to that. And you will finish him soon as we all are NOW WAITING to see his cheery face.

J~MT

Fabric Fanatic said...

Now that you've found it, are you going to finish it? (not nagging, just asking...lol)

BTW, I really enjoy your blog every day, but I especially enjoy it on the weekends because most bloggers take that day off and it's good to see you "home" when I pass by.d

Laura Wasilowski said...

Santa is going to need that snow. (And a few eyes and a nose too.) Love the border fabric.

Anonymous said...

If you title this "Amish Santa" you could be already finished :)

Candy Schultz said...

It has already started here. It is sleeting at the moment. Oh yech. This looks to be a gloomy and long winter. It is a good thing I sleep in the daytime or I would be depressed.

I like the santa. Are you going to finish him?

Jean said...

He is cute, has he aged properly now so that you can finish him?

meggie said...

I hope you don't get too much snow, & you can stay cosy & warm.

Vicky F said...

Wanda,
You must have a "bottomless" project box in your basement. Do you take a peek to see what you have every year or are you on the five-year plan?

I am horrible about finishing things; you are my inspiration for that issue.

I just turned my turkey leftovers into turkey/barley/vegetable soup; I'm freezing bowls of that tomorrow so I don't get turkey fatigue.
Vicky F

Cathi said...

That Santa is adorable!! He'll be so cute finished.
We're supposed to get a big storm starting any minute now. So far it's rain, but I think the snow is right behind this. Should be a nice mess for tomorrow morning's rush hour.

jovaliquilts said...

Seeing through is the way to foundation piece. I think this is the year to finish your Santa!

Stephanie D said...

He'll be so cute when he's finished. The black really makes him stand out!