Monday, October 1, 2007

Early crazy piecing

Around 1974 I bought a Viking sewing machine. It had a feather stitch that almost looked like hand stitching. I started making crazy pieced blocks with Holly Hobbie centers and made this quilt. From there I went to making pillows and selling them to an antique shop in a Chicago suburb. Holly Hobbie was very popular at that time and I coordinated different colors for the pillows rather than the multicolor in this quilt. About half of the fabrics in these blocks were scraps from making my daughter's clothing.
The rick rack gives it a good old '70's touch.

4 comments:

Joyce said...

They are still cute. I must be still in the '70' because I still like rick rack.

Amy Munson said...

I absolulty love your quilt. My mom made me a Holly Hobbie quilt in the late 70s as well. It is thread bare but I still adore it.

meggie said...

My daughter loved Holly Hobbie too! I didn't make quilts in those days, but she would have loved that. I am still fond of rick-rack too.

Rose Marie said...

Love the added touch of the rick rack. I still have lots of that in my stash and plan to do something with it soon. I'm working on a crazy quilt and it sure is so different from your lighter coloured version.